Annually, the BC Society holds an appreciation luncheon for the many members, candidates and students who volunteer on behalf of the Society. This year’s luncheon saw over 100 BC CMAs, candidates and students gather at the Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver on Friday, September 24, 2010.
Keynote speaker, Aklilu Mulat, CMA, FCMA, Chief Operating Officer, HOPE International Development Agency and moderator in the CMA Strategic Leadership Program, spoke on volunteerism and the impact volunteers have in their local community, nationally and internationally. He outlined his involvement with the ARC Initiative, which is a partnership of UBC students, alumni and faculty and the business community. ARC facilitates the exchange of business knowledge, in particular entrepreneurship, with local communities in Africa who have limited access, or opportunities, to learn business concepts.
Demonstrating how a small local volunteer initiative can have a far reaching impact, Aklilu shared a video on the Arc Initiative and how BC CMAs – Jeff Kroeker, CMA, FCMA, lecturer, Sauder School of Business, UBC and Steve Lee, CMA, FCMA, vice-president, corporate development, Please Mum and UBC Sauder students were making a difference in Phalaborwa, South Africa.
- Jennifer Helmersen, CMA – CMA Volunteer of the Year
- Matthew Murray, CMA – CMA Volunteer of the Year
- Jeffrey Sparling, CMA – CMA Volunteer of the Year
- Bob Taylor, CMA, FCMA – CMA Volunteer of the Year
- Robert Stuart, CMA, FCMA – CMA Lifetime Achievement Volunteer Award
- Glynn Spelliscy, CMA, FCMA – CMA Lifetime Achievement Volunteer Award
Congratulations Jennifer, Matt, Jeffrey, Bob, Robert and Glynn!